The Predictive Index Surveyed Thousands of Employees To Find Out What Is Contributing To the Record Number of Open Jobs and To Give Business Leaders Insight Into the Challenges Ahead
BOSTON, Mass – August 4, 2021 – One of the biggest stories dominating headlines today is the record 9.2 million job openings available as millions of Americans quit en masse—better known as The Great Resignation. To uncover why people are leaving their jobs, The Predictive Index surveyed nearly 2,000 employees across 15+ industries in a new report published today, The 2021 People Management Report.
The report found that 48% of employees have thought about changing careers in the past 12 months, and 63% of those with a bad manager are thinking of leaving in the next 12 months.
“Even in today’s climate, attrition often has less to do with physical safety, and more to do with psychological safety,” said Jackie Dube, SVP of Talent Optimization at The Predictive Index. “For organizations to avoid The Great Resignation, they need to listen to their people and mount a Great Retention instead. Whether it’s the flexibility of working where they want, when they want, or the freedom to take time off and recharge, employees are placing a premium on workplace empathy.”
The Chilling Effects of Burnout
- Burnout is contagious. While 36% of respondents said they feel their manager is burned out, 40% said they feel burned out, and 45% said their team members seem burned out.
- When asked if they agreed with the statement, “Many of my team members seem burned out at work,” 73% of people with burned-out managers agreed vs. just 22% of those with managers who aren’t burned out.
The Hybrid Work Disconnect
- 46% of companies are adopting fully remote or hybrid work models moving forward.
- Though 60% of employees work almost entirely on-site, only 49% actually want to.
Communication is #1
- While manager communication was the second-most valued skill among respondents, it was the No. 1 skill they felt managers lack most. When compared to results from the previous report, communication shot up four spots on the list, from number five to number one.
- When asked to select the top three skills managers lack, respondents chose effective communicator (18%), drives team morale (17%), and asks for feedback (17%).
A full copy of The 2021 People Management Report is available at: https://es.predictiveindex.com/2021-people-management-report/
About The Predictive Index
The Predictive Index (PI) is an award-winning talent optimization platform that aligns business strategy with people strategy for optimal business results. Sixty years of proven science, software, and a robust curriculum of insightful management workshops make PI the solution for any company looking to design great teams and culture, make objective hiring decisions, and inspire greatness in their people anywhere in the world. More than 8,000 clients use PI—including AstraZeneca, Blue Cross Blue Shield, TD Bank, LVMH, and Omni Hotels—across 142+ countries. Learn more at https://es.predictiveindex.com/.
Jennifer Moebius (she/her)
VP of Marketing
The Predictive Index